Ambulance service in Mt. Holly Springs was started in the early part of the 1950’s. The ambulance company was named Citizen’s Ambulance Company of Mt. Holly Springs. Money to purchase the first ambulance was raised by ambulance members walking the streets of Mt. Holly with a stretcher. Local residents would throw their donations into the sheet. Once an ambulance was obtained, it was stored in the basement of the fire house on Pine Street. In the mid 1950’s the ambulance was moved from the fire house to a garage behind the Gulf Station on Baltimore Avenue. In 1963, the ambulance was moved into the new fire station on 100 Chestnut Street, Mt. Holly Springs. A green 1959 Cadillac ambulance was purchased for the new station. Several Cadillac ambulances were purchased through the 1960’s. In 1975, the first box style ambulance was purchased. Ambulance service continued using the ambulances, with the fleet being increased to two ambulances in the 1980’s.
Ambulance service in Boiling Springs began in 1956, when members of the fire department purchased a used ambulance from Biglerville. The ambulance company was named South Middleton Township Ambulance Association. In 1966, a new International box ambulance was purchased; then in 1976 a Dodge ambulance replaced it. In 1976, the ambulance company moved to its current location on Forge Road. In 1995, Citizen’s Ambulance of Mt. Holly Springs and South Middleton Ambulance Association merged to become Yellow Breeches Emergency Medical Services (YBEMS). The name was chosen because the Yellow Breeches Creek runs through many of the municipalities served. The new company served Cooke Township, Dickinson Township, Penn Township, Monroe Township, Mt. Holly Springs Borough and South Middleton Township. At the time of the merger, the new ambulance company owned four ambulances; 1 Type 2 ambulance and 3 type III ambulances. Green was chosen to be the company’s color, with all new ambulances having a green and white color scheme.
In 2000, YBEMS merged operations by consolidating two stations and moving into its current location at 233 Mill Street, Mt. Holly Springs. YBEMS purchased 5 acres of land containing a former garage. During the next 10 years, BLS service continued. For a few years, YBEMS operated both a Medic service and wheel chair van transports service, which were later discontinued to allow the company to focus on its core mission of providing quality BLS service. In 2010, the Mill Street ambulance station underwent major renovations. The ambulance bays were moved to the street side of the building and new living space was created. The current building has new electrical and heating systems, as well as a backup generator for power emergencies. Five Type III ambulances are housed on Mill Street with the station being staffed 24/7, 365 days a year.